Friday, July 13, 2007

Thoughts for a Friday before Vacation

Canada is an interesting country, we are talk hockey 12 months of the year, we think some one has made it only when they are popular in the U.S.A but criticize American policy on everything.
Why do we love Canadians who have made it big in the U.S. but we don't like the U.S.A.

We like Americans as individuals but we don't like the collective. I am as guilty as anyone. We want Americans to like us but we don't want to be American. I won't drink Bud beer brewed by Labbatts because of the marketing premise behind the beer is that anyone who isn't American wants to be American.

Kind of silly I know but I can be very silly at times. I won't buy Time Magazine because I didn't like the issue when they picked the Personal Computer as Man of the Year. I think it was 1980 and I thought and still think that it is wrong to treat machines as human like. That is why I enjoy books like Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut and movies like the Matrix and Blade Runner.

I am trying to avoid writing about politics because I feel like it is the same thing over and over, Stephen Harper is ruining the country and the majority of Canadians don't seem to recognize it. We have to get this man out of power.

Those are my thoughts. See you in two weeks.

No comments: